Blood is one of the most important connective tissue in the human. As of today, there is no innovation made on manufacturing blood cells, hence blood donors are the only hope. Blood is the most valuable gift you can give since it is a gift of life. Studies show that one blood donation can save three lives. In return blood, donors have a lot of benefits.
Blood donation is proved to have emotional and physical benefits
- Helps in reducing stress.
- Improves emotional well-being.
- Lowers the risk of heart disease and heart attack by reducing blood viscosity
- Prevents certain types of cancer.
- Cut down the risk of hemochromatosis which is caused due to a high level of the iron store in the body.
- Proven to reduce the danger of damaged liver and pancreas.
- Helps in reducing blood pressure.
Overall blood donation hinders obesity by burning excessive calories and helps in replenishing blood. It improves your cardiovascular health. One can donate blood for a maximum of 24 times a year. Also, there are a number of tests you need to go through before blood donation, which can help in early diagnosis of certain disease.
Blood donation does not have any serious side effects on a healthy adult. One can donate put to one pint of blood, which is recuperated with 24 to 72 hours. However, the can be minor side effects such as :
- Pain and bruises caused due to the needle.
- Dizziness and nausea.
- Continued bleeding.
One can take 6 to 8 weeks to recover from a blood donation. It is quite a time-consuming process. It is advised to avoid any intense physical activities after blood donation. Importantly, you need to make sure the needle is clean and sterilized to avoid infections.
Lead poisoning :
According to recent studies, 1,43,000 people die every year due to lead poisoning. Lead is highly toxic metal and a strong poison. Lead poisoning is a serious issue which can even be fatal in some cases. The damages that are brought about due to lead poisoning cannot be reversed.
Lead poisoning is caused when a high level of lead is built up in the body,
- Lead is present in low graded paint, gasoline and painted toys.
- Lead can also reach our system through contaminated air, water, dust, and food.
- Breathing dust contaminated with lead particles.
Low graded paint with contain lead is the main cause for lead poisoning.
Young children are more vulnerable to lead poisoning since their brain and nervous system is still developing.
- Lead poisoning causes severe mental and physical impairment.
- In a few cases, it leads to anemia, seizures, coma.
- Lead poisoning leads to developmental delay, lower IQ, intellectual disabilities and irritability in children.
Lead build up can be diagnosed by Blood Lead Test.
Lead poisoning can be treated for an extent by Chelation therapy but it has side effects such as kidney dysfunction and allergic reaction.
Lead poisoning can be avoided in the following ways :
- Use of high-quality paint and paint products.
- Do not buy cheap, painted toys.
- Make sure children wash their hands before a meal.
- Do not consume contaminated food and water.